We often were told when we were young to be mindful of what you do because you never know who is watching you. As a lunch-hour runner, I wave to many colleagues and students I know while tackling a running workout throughout campus. To them, I have become a fixture on the track and pavement for the last few years.
There are a few, though, who are watching me -- and I don't know it.
While cross training at the Foy Center on a recent Friday, again during my lunch hour, a gentleman cycling near me asked why I wasn't running that day. I replied, "It is cross training day." He then said something that made me smile.
"You inspire me. I see you running around this campus all the time, and you are the reason I am in here today."
The thing is, I didn't just leave an impression on him. He left an impression on me.
I remember being in his shoes once. Once overweight, I didn't follow a proper diet and hardly exercised. I never made time for myself. And now, years later, I am accomplishing athletic goals I never thought I could reach. This doesn't mean you have to be an athlete to live a lifestyle of good health. This is what I want for me, but I do believe everyone should commit 30 minutes a day doing some kind of physical activity -- running, walking, cycling, swimming, weights, whatever. Just move!
The gentleman's kind words weren't the first time I have heard those. A young woman once told me that she thought I was "a beast." Those were her exact words. And then another person recently shared with me that she is working out more because of me.
This morning, I tackled a difficult long run workout of 12 miles to prepare me for the Murray Half-Marathon in three weeks. I was extremely happy with my effort. This workout proved to me that I can push myself to achieve a sub-two-hour half-marathon.
But what kept me moving for 12 tough miles was knowing that someone could be watching me. I hope I left a good impression.
No comments:
Post a Comment